This is the perfect speaker in a perfect room music lovers seek. Musical information no longer is blurred, harmony can easily be heard as individual singers within the group, instrument separation is crazy good, bass drums have the rolling of their skins, ‘bass within bass’ as we call it.
With flat phase and impedance, the directly driven Abyss AB-1266 Phi simply sounds like you are standing on the surface of the microphone. Resolution limits are now squarely in the realm of the electronics and the recording.
The new verion Abyss AB-1266 Phi (AB-1266φ) refines the sonic virtues of Abyss with greater transparency to the source, further improved low freqency impact and resolution, and vocals as alive as can be. More importantly, the Abyss AB-1266 Phi will preserve in history one of the finest headphones ever produced.
Read more below ….
Buy with confidence on Amazon
The Abyss AB-1266 is a no-holds-barred attempt to build the best-sounding headphone on the planet.
The mostly metal construction is heavy at close to 1.5 pounds which is almost double the weight of most other full-size headphones. However, this weight shouldn’t be a concern because the weight is evenly distributed, and since the AB-1266’s real lambskin earpads barely contact your ears you will feel no “clamping” pressure what so ever. Another thing to note is you will be able to wear your glasses without having the earpads push against the glasses’ sidepieces. The outstanding design of the Abyss AB-1266 means it is comfortable to wear for many hours at a time.
Abyss’ Joe Skubinski and his son Eric developed the Abyss AB-1266’s planar magnetic drivers from the ground up over a period of nearly five years. The design process first involved the search for the perfect diaphragm material and then refining it, and then experimenting with magnet design and implementation.
So what does the Abyss AB-1266 sound like?
With good recordings, you feel like you’re in the room with the band. Believe me, no other headphone can come close to producing that level of realism. Obviously, it’s nowhere near as convincing as surround sound from speakers, but the sense of “being there” is far ahead of other headphones on the market. Combine that with the fact that the Abyss AB-1266 ear pads barely touch your ears and head, means you never have that cut off, isolated feel common to all in-ear and full-size headphones.
Abyss AB-1266 Product Information
- Made in the USA. They machine all aluminum frame components and produce their planer speaker drivers in-house in Western New York. Leather goods such as ear pads, headbands, and carry bags are sewn in California.
- Chassis consists of left/right side frames and adjustable two piece headband. No plastic parts to break, all components machined from solid aluminum for exceptional strength. Integrated resonance control for minimal added coloration.
- High quality finishes, polished metal accents, hand-brushed artistic touches.
- Proprietary planar magnetic transducer design (Patent Pending) utilizing their very thin, very low mass diaphragm. Effortless dynamics and low level detail retrieval in the bass, mids, and highs with spacious sound outside of your head. A front row listening experience with stunning bass impact no other headphone can provide, like the finest loudspeakers in a private room.
- Matched driver pairs.
- Unique custom made high power neodymium magnets with optimized slot pattern.
- Low carbon steel front baffle with integrated resonance control.
- Unique foamed aluminum sides acoustically tuned to our planar diaphragm for completely open sound.
- High quality soft lambskin ear pads provide comfort and finely tuned acoustics. Magnetically adjustable positioning lets you fine tune acoustics and fit for your music, and you.
- Padded leather headband with head movement isolation properly distributes weight for hours of comfortable wear. Looks are deceiving, these headphones are designed not to clamp your head, but rather float atop and loosely touch your ears (no problem with eye glasses). ‘Abyss’ embroidered logo.
- Nicely hand-crafted two-tone felt lined wooden box touting the Abyss Headphones logo secures all of the above.
- All main components permanently laser engraved for traceability and collectability.